I remember the conversations with my grandmother on warm Sunday afternoon’s. From my perspective it always a comparison of our “cakes”. Somehow I found her "cake" to be perfect, maybe because she had her "cake" and ate it too. It was not too big. She knew the right dimensions, and she also knew that wanting more cream would be mere foolishness. I have always felt that if my grandma made a checklist of things she needed to accomplish they would have all been crossed out .The highlight for me in this thoughtful endeavor was the fact that she was absolutely clueless about the above mentioned details. To her the “cake” was non existent, yet she baked it with utmost care.
Here is where my “cake” comes in. Actually my "cake" is not set yet. It keeps evolving with time, getting bigger. I always find something new to decorate it with. Every time its magnanimity leaves a sense of dissatisfaction in me. I know its dimensions but I want to stretch it to the limits my imagination will take me. I have hoarded my "cake" enough to make it presentable in the educational society. My “cake” is stamped and now I am dressing it up for the corporate acceptance. I know it won’t be long before my “cake” needs to be decorated with cherries of my personal commitments. I just hope it can balance it all. My mother is aware about her “cake”. The paradox here is she wants me to add all that she missed out in hers, yet when I describe all the ingredients to her she gives a sly smile which to me reads “you can’t have it all”. My mind seems to reverberate with question “why can’t I have the cake and eat it too?????”
10 comments:
Very nice, really very nice... :) Dont look surprised.
Really nice one there Shammi ! Keep up the good work !
My recipe for a wholesome 'cake' is :
1.Fill it with all your favorite ingredients
2.Dont bother abt what it looks like to the world-its ur cake anyways :)
3.Dont wait till your cake is set before you savour it !
>>I know it won’t be long before my “cake” needs to be decorated with cherries of my personal commitments. I just hope it can balance it all.
Have you noticed "Rummy Style" game using cards? You are presented with 13 of them. You get your turn to play. If you don't like a few, there is a deck from which you can draw dropping what you don't like the most with the hope the drawn is better than the dropped. If not, you redo it! And you just play YOUR BEST with the ones available (the presented opportunities) at that instance of time and declare the game. Every turning point in your life (professional/personal) is a new game. You get a new deal of cards and the game begins again. This is LIFE! You keep reinventing your - "self". Otherwise life becomes monotonous.
>> From my perspective it always a comparison of our “cakes”.
NO TWO PEOPLE are DEALT with the same set of cards ;-)
Well.... i think you just defied the "No Brain No Pain" exponents ! Good beginning Bugs bunny :-)(ppssssst ..did anyone hear me ?? ;-))
end of the day we all wanna eat the cake....so why not try reverse engineering and define it within the realm of reality !!
Get what i meant ?? ......understate and overperform !! this might sound pessimistic and less thrilling but i am sure is more satisfying ...bounce on this.Just a relief for people on the other end of the spectrum
Hi sharmila,
I strongly believe you can have the cake and eat it too.. provided you settle for the right compromise. After all, life is about compromises, isnt it?
hmmmm.... made a good reading...
No doubt, a person of ur intelligence and talent would come up with a grand cake..... and in case u r planning to offer "UR CAKE" to someone else, u shud offer ur cake to someone that would really tell u its true taste....
but dont u think, ur cake shud taste good universally....??? hmmm.. in that case, better be careful in choosing the ingredients u r decorating it with.......
looks like everybody is lost in this illusionary world in pursuit of a cake of their own...... n ofcoz decorating it too!!!
You are a complicated person its difficult understand :(
reflections of myself is all i see here.. cheers
Post a Comment